Saturday, May 27, 2023

what's in my bag? 2008 edition

one of the things I love about making these videos is all the forgotten memories I've uncovered. 2008 was 3rd and 4th grade for me. I now remember browsing the book fair with my mom and running into my friend's mom and older sister, who gushed the entire plot of twilight to me as I stood there awkwardly. 

I remember begging for an ipod nano (I wanted to be like the cool, older girls at ballet who left their candy-colored ipods on top of their tokidoki dance bags), and being disappointed when I got an ipod shuffle instead. 


I also remember phones becoming more common place. when I visited my cousin, she showed off her new blackberry, and my dad surprised my mom with an iphone for christmas. some of my friends were starting to get slider phones which I was supremely jealous of. they seemed so cool and mature with their cellphones, but no matter how hard I begged, my parents refused to get me one. To be fair, I was nine and had no use for a phone, but still. 


even though I was initially disappointed by the screen-less ipod shuffle, I soon became enthralled by it. My mom downloaded a handful of songs--I remember so what by pink, love story by taylor swift, bleeding love by leona lewis, and pocketful of sunshine by natasha beddingfield. There's something about the latter's music that's still remarkably relevant to younger gen-z and gen alpha kids, as shown in this vice mini doc about the song unwritten:

(definitely watch if you haven't already, it's soooo good)

anyways, the continued relevancy of natasha beddingfield is why I choose pocketful of sunshine as the soundtrack to my WIMB 2008 video. the memories I have of watching it on mtv with my mom and dancing to it with my friends are distinctly 2008, but it's still an absolute banger today. I wish I had listened to more of her music, but whatever I guess. 

here is a sample of what flickr users kept in their bags during the year 2008. what did you carry back then?





not linking to this one bc they posted their driver's license and address lmaooo the internet was so different back then




































No comments:

Post a Comment