Wednesday, September 16, 2026

atomic turquoise

"I said well, Daddy, don't you know that things go in cycles, the way that Bobby Brown is just amping like Michael, it's all expected...."

As Q-Tip observes on the opening track of The Low End Theory circa 1991, things—music, fashion, art, etc.—go in cycles. Our culture oscillates between the extremes of minimalism and maximalism every decade. While the 2010s gave minimalist trends a nice chunk of the spotlight, we're in a new decade now, and have been for quite some time. And that means one thing: it's time for maximalism to show out.

I'm talking bright, bold colors everywhere, eccentric layered outfits, vivid washes of eyeshadow and lipstick adorning a human body (or two) right next to you. If you haven't noticed the whimsical, eclectic style that has been steadily gaining more and more traction over the course of this decade, then you're just dumb. Or maybe unobservant. Or...both? Pick a struggle.



photos via pinterest

In any case, maximalism comes at a hefty cost. Such intricate and ostentatious fashion trends occur in relation to turbulent geopolitical times. According to The Data Fashion Brief, the closest precedent for our current state of global fuckery is the 2008 financial crisis. In the midst of widespread despair, fashion became an escape, and color, prints, and silhouettes blossomed as bank accounts shriveled. So, it's really no surprise that maximalism is once again making a comeback, and it's reviving some old fashion trends in the process: namely, the color turquoise. 



Turquoise dominated the runway amongst spring/summer 2027 collections, and more tangibly, it's making an appearance at cool-girl fast fashion establishments like Brandy Melville and Urban Outfitters. I dare you to open up Instagram and take a shot every time you see someone wearing or using the color turquoise in their content. It's everywhere, and it's only going to pick up more steam.

Jacquemus s/s 2027


Brandy Melville

Urban Outfitters

@n_pix_e on Instagram

But to be sure, the 2020's are not the only era that turquoise has dominated. If you were alive and not in a comatose state during the late 2000s and early 2010s, you probably remember the color turquoise taking over clothing stores galore. It was inescapable (especially when paired with bright pops of coral), and it was glorious.


Just so that we're clear, I have absolutely no issue with this resurgence. If anything, I welcome it with open arms. Blue was my favorite color as a child—I painted my bedroom walls blue when I was in 4th grade, I (unsuccessfully) begged my mom to let me wear blue eyeliner in 7th grade, and I dip-dyed my hair bright turquoise in 8th grade. When I envisioned myself as an older, cooler teen, I always pictured myself wearing turquoise blue and driving a bright blue Volkswagen Beetle. Not to sound like a Halsey song, but everything that meant something to me was blue.

me wearing turquoise sunglasses in my blue room, 2013. (it's still painted this color btw). 

So, I'm pretty stoked that turquoise is making a comeback. Usually I'm not one to engage in fast fashion trends, but this one is so fresh and nostalgic that I just can't help myself. Plus, life is growing scarier and suckier with every news cycle that passes, so we might as well have some fun with bright colors before the planet implodes. Yippee.  

























No comments:

Post a Comment