Monday, November 13, 2023

exploring blog archives: space-trash-blog.tumblr.com, 2013 polyvore collages

I've had a nostalgic hankering for Polyvore as of late, so you can imagine my pure and utter elation when I across space-trash-club's tumblr archive last week, full of quintessentially 2013 Polyvore collages.  Back in the day, I used to be obsessed with Polyvore, to the point where I was routinely late for school because I had couldn't resist the compulsion to make a new collage header or sidebar icon for my tumblr every other day.  I was addicted.

Polyvore was a website where you had access to thousands of transparent images, mostly of clothes from popular sites like Romwee, forever21, UNIF, etc.  It was most commonly used for outfit collages like the ones seen below, but it was also used to make blog headers and profile pictures, as well as grunge collages. 

Marina and the Diamonds was a popular collage fixture (as she should be)

Unfortunately, Polyvore was shut down in 2018, two years after it was acquired by SSENSE, which is widely seen as a bad move.  Even though I'm fond of shopping at the SSENSE sale from time to time, I will always hold a grudge against them for shutting down that treasure trove of a site and losing thousands of creative projects, ideas, and pieces of internet history.   

yeah they fucked up big time. 


Thank god for Tumblr.  The outfits from space-trash-club are peak 2013, and scrolling through them scratches that Polyvore itch I've been getting as of late.  The alien accessories, galaxy prints, and creepers were all essential items back in the day, and I can't wait to see how they re-enter the trend cycle in the coming years.  Take a look below: 






















No comments:

Post a Comment